Sympathy Card with Brushed Gold Cardstock
October 17, 2021
Sympathy Card with Brushed Gold Cardstock
(and a few precautions)
Well, I had to make a sympathy card so I figured I would show what I came up with. Brushed metallic card stock is a beautiful choice to use on sympathy cards to keep them simple but special.
I struggle when it comes to making sympathy cards. It's because I enjoy making cards and I enjoy the freedom of making whatever I want in the moment, but sympathy cards are different. A sympathy card is to be sent to someone who just lost someone special, and its purpose is basically to share in the sadness of someone departed. This is the only time I really take my cue from store-bought cards- they often use metals (gold, silver, or bronze to honor the departed) and are largely nature themed.
To make this card, I used:
- Night of Navy card base, finished folded size of 4 1/4 x 5 1/2"
- Brushed Metallic 12 x 12" card stock (July-December mini catalog p.32) (also great for Christmas), cut to 4 x 5 1/4"
- retired 3D Soft Subtle embossing folder (optional- see below why I had to use it)
- Stitched Leaves dies (Note: these dies coordinate with the Love of Leaves stamp set not used here)
- sentiment from the recently retired Saleabration stamp set Delicate Dahlias (any sympathy sentiment would work- check out the Peaceful Moments stamp set on p.24 of the current annual catalog)
- additional front piece of Night of Navy card stock, cut to 3 x 5 1/2"
So as not to "waste" any of my brushed gold metallic card stock, I went ahead and die-cut out the leaf I was going to use on the front out of the center, figuring that it would be covered up and that I was a genius.
However, the brushed metallic card stock does mar easily, and I wasn't happy with the squirrely marks that were left on the surface from my cutting plates (I try to show this below).
My solution- I embossed it and it worked! Unfortunately, the only appropriate embossing folder I had for a sympathy card is now retired. You don't need to emboss, as the brushed metallic card stock is beautiful without it, so I highly recommend NOT die-cutting anything from the center, and just use a little bit more of the metallic paper... it just isn't worth it.
Beware: embossing the brushed metallic card stock may make it curl! Remedy this by running it through your embossing machine again between your plates to flatten it. I did use a sheet of thin paper between the front side and the cutting plate so that I wouldn't get any more marks on it, and it worked.
Thanks so much for visiting, and I hope you were inspired by something!
Holly Dimig
Theclosetstamper@gmail.com
Independent Stampin' Up!® Demonstrator
and Theclosetstamper on Facebook
Main Product List
Click on the image descriptions to view/shop online if you wish.
White, black, and colored card stocks, ink pads, and blender pens can be searched by color in my online store.
Please check the home page of this blog for the current host code
to use at checkout if you spend less than $150 in my online store today.
Are you a new customer? Email me or choose me as your demonstrator when you shop and I will contact you about rewards from me when you buy from my store!


Comments
Post a Comment